- Banks, John (died 1995)
- Was with company from 1953 - 1962 and 1966 - 1967
Roles played: Foreman of Jury, Bob Becket, Colonel Calverley, Mountararat, Go-To, Mikado, Old Adam, Sir Roderic Murgatroyd, Lieutenant of the Tower, Sergeant Meryll.
- Billie Barlow (1862 - 1937)
- Born, Minnie Barlow in London on 18th July
Was with the company from 1878 to 1882
Roles played: Isabel and Fleta
- Barnett, Alice (died 1901)
- Was with the company from 1879 to 1884
Created the roles of Lady Jane, Fairy Queen and Ruth (Pirates - American Production)
Other roles played: Lady Sangazure and Little Buttercup
- Barrett, Allen (born 1932)
- Born in Leeds on 7th April
Was with the company from 1956 to 1963
Married to Mary Sansom
Roles played: Associate, Judge, Samuel, Major Murgatroyd.
- Barrington, Jean (died 1983)
- Was with the company from 1956 to 1959
Roles played: Isabel, Celia, Patience, Phyllis, Lady Psyche, Yum-Yum, Rose Maybud and Casilda
- Barrington, Rutland (1853 - 1922)
- Born, George Rutland Fleet in Penge on 15th January
Was with the company from 1877 to 1896 and 1908 to 1909
Created the roles of Dr Daly, Captain Corcoran, Sergeant of Police, Archibald Grosvenor, Mountararat, King Hildebrand, Pooh-Bah, Sir Despard Murgatroyd, Giuseppe, King Paramount and Ludwig.
Other roles played: Judge, Counsel, Wilfred Shadbolt and Don Alhambra
Wrote memoirs: "Rutland Barrington - by Himself" (1908) and "More Rutland Barrington" (1911)
- Baxter, Maisie (1905 - 1995)
- Born Lillian Baxter in Hull on 10th July
Was with company from 1929 to 1935
Roles played: Little Buttercup, Kate (Pirates), Lady Saphir, Leila, Fairy Queen, Lady Blanche, Chloe, Dame Carruthers, Duchess of Plaza-Toro, Inez and Vittoria
Later appeared, with success, as Linda Gray in musicals
- Bellamy, Henry E. (1862 - 1932)
- Born in Oxford, Died in Cheltenham on 7th February
Was with the company from 1888 to 1920
Roles played: Boatswain, Samuel, Strephon, Pish-Tush, Lieutenant of the Tower, Luiz and Captain Corcoran (Utopia)
Was Business Manager of the company from 1895 to 1920
- Bennett, Brenda
- Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba
Was with the company from 1936 to 1938
Roles played: Mabel, Lady Ella, Phyllis, Yum-Yum, Rose Maybud, Casilda, Gianetta.
- Bennett, Mavis (1900 - 1990)
- Born in Stalbridge, Dorset on 28th March
Was with company from 1921 to 1922
Roles played: Lady Ella and Kate (Yeomen)
Later was well known for her concert and radio work and later became a music teacher.
- Bethell, Anna (1882 - 1969)
- Married to Sydney Granville
Was with the company from 1909 to 1925, 1929 to 1934, 1937 to 1939 and 1947 to 1949
Roles played: Mrs. Partlet, Hebe, Little Buttercup, Kate (Pirates), Lady Saphir; Leila, Chloe, Melissa, Peep-Bo, Pitti-Sing, Dame Hannah, Tessa, Inez and Vittoria
Was Stage Director from 1947 to 1949
- Billington, Fred (1854 - 1917)
- Born in Huddersfield on 1st July
Was with the company from 1879 to 1917
Roles played: Judge, Dr Daly, Notary, Boatswain, Dick Deadeye, Captain Corcoran, Pirate King, Sergeant of Police, Archibald Grosvenor, Colonel Calverley, Private Willis, King Hildebrand, Pooh-Bah, Sir Despard Murgatroyd, Wilfred Shadbolt, Sergeant Meryll, Don Alhambra and King Paramount.
- Boarer, Beatrice (died -1954)
- Was with the company from 1906 to 1914
Roles played: Hebe, Josephine, Kate (Pirates), Edith, Angela, Patience, Leila, Fleta, Iolanthe, Chloe, Melissa, Peep-Bo, Pitti-Sing, Yum-Yum, Kate (Yeomen), Elsie Maynard, Phoebe Meryll, Vittoria, Giulia and Tessa
- Bond, Jessie (1853 - 1942)
- Born in Camden Town, London on 10th January
Was with the company from 1878 to 1892 and 1895 to 1897
Wrote "The Life and Reminiscences of Jessie Bond - The Old Savoyard (1930)
Created the roles of Cousin Hebe, Lady Angela, Iolanthe, Melissa, Pitti-Sing, Mad Margaret, Phoebe Meryll and Tessa.
Other roles played: Constance, Edith (Pirates)
- Bonnington, Keith
- Married 1) Margaret Eales (marriage dissolved) 2) Anne Egglestone
Was with the company from 1963 to 1965
Roles played: Associate
He was later with English National Opera
- Booth, Leslie W (1902 - 1984)
- Better known as Webster Booth
Born in Birmingham on 21st January
Was with the company from 1923 to 1927
Sang with great success in theatres, concert halls and on radio for many years both as a tenor soloist and in duets with his wife Anne Ziegler.
Roles played: 1st Yeoman and Francesco.
- Bracey, Henry (died 1917)
- Born in Birmingham)
Was with the company in 1884
Created the role of Hilarion
- Bradshaw, Dawn
- Married to Michael Porter (member of the orchestra)
Was with the company from 1956 to 1964
Roles played: Bridesmaid, Fleta, Ada, Zorah and Fiametta.
- Braham, Leonora (1853 - 1931)
- Born in Bloomsbery, London 3rd February
Married to J. Duncan Young
Was with the company from 1881 to 1887 and 1896
Created the roles of Patience, Phyllis, Princess Ida, Yum-Yum and Rose Maybud,
Other roles: Aline, Phoebe Meryll, Julia (Grand Duke)
- Brand, Deane (1860 - 1899)
- Born in Liverpool
Married to Kate Chard
Was with the company from 1881 to 1882
Roles played: Sir Marmaduke Pointdextre and Captain Corcoran
- Brandram, Rosina (1846 - 1907)
- Real name: Rosina Moult. Born in London on 2nd July
Was with the company from 1878 to 1903
Created the roles of Lady Blanche, Katisha, Dame Hannah, Dame Carruthers, Duchess of Plaza-Toro, Lady Sophy and Baroness von Krakenfeldt.
Other roles played: Mrs Partlet, Lady Sangazure, Little Buttercup, Kate (Pirates), Ruth (Pirates), Lady Jane, Iolanthe and Fairy Queen.
- Briercliffe, Nellie (1889 - 1966)
- Born in Bolton
Was with the company from 1914 to 1920 and 1929 to 1930
Roles played: Constance, Hebe, Edith, Lady Angela, Iolanthe, Melissa, Pitti-Sing, Mad Margaret, Phoebe Meryll and Tessa
Known in the company as "Budgie"
- Broad, John
- Born in Christchurch, Dorset.
Married to Rosalind Griffiths
Was with the company from 1969 to 1975 and 1979 to 1980.
Roles played: Foreman of Jury, Usher, Dr Daly, Notary, Bob Becket, Captain Corcoran, Colonel Calverley, Private Willis, Go-To, 2nd Yeoman, Lieutenant of the Tower, Giorgio, Don Alhambra, Captain Corcoran (Utopia) and Herald (Grand Duke).
- Bromley, Nellie (1850 - 1939)
- Was with the company in 1875
Created the role of the Plaintiff in "Trial by Jury".
- Brownlow, Wallace (died 1919)
- Was with the company from 1886 to 1891
Created the roles of Lieutenant of the Tower and Luiz.
Other roles played: Mikado, Sir Roderic Murgatroyd and Giuseppe.
- Buchan, Michael
- Formerly Michael Fox
Married to Patricia Leonard
Was with the company from 1972 to 1982
Roles played: Sir Marmaduke Pointdextre, Bob Becket, Dick Deadeye, Boatswain, Samuel, General Stanley, Pirate King, Mountararat, Mikado, Old Adam, Sergeant Meryll, Giorgio and Calynx (Utopia).
Back to Artist Index